It can be easy to over look the value FOOD has in our lives. For centuries, foods, herbs and plants have been used as a form of healing. How do we heal? What does that even look like? As we yearn to be more of ourselves, and cut out any addictions or sense of need, low-gylcemic, living foods help to support us in healing the most inner depths of who we are.
So in this blog today, we are remembering how food is simply a tool to bring healing to our bodies, minds and spirits, through the purity they are.
As we deepen into the space of healing we are often times bombarded with thoughts or feelings that do not serve us. They are like an anchor, keeping us stuck in the same spot. As we move toward lifting the veils of darkness in our lives, we are reminded that we don’t have to do it alone.
Healing takes patience…..and the deepest of breaths. The more we breathe, the more we are saying to the Divine that we commit to living. If we are attempting to heal, but are able to recognize that we are not utilizing our breath to its fullest capacity….it is almost as if we are saying we don’t want to be living in the first place. Then the question arises….what is living anyway??
So many of us have short-changed ourselves, said that we could not, or minimized our return on our investment, simply by not thinking of ourselves to be WORTHY. This is also when EMOTIONAL EATING is most prevalent. When we can honestly say, I am WORTHY of living, our life begins to deeper in its meaning, and the essence of who you are truly begins to shine.
Take a nice breath on that one!!
There is such freedom in saying “I give myself permission”….to do anything. To be happy, joyful, healthy, beautiful, sexy….we simply ALLOW it to BE. And sometimes it’s sitting in silence, patiently, waiting to hear when it really is OKAY. These things take time, and truly tuning into our greatest ability takes compassion, kindness to the self, and of course….a LOT of breath.
What do you give yourself permission to do or be? How can we honor ourselves even deeper into the practice of I AM and know who we are even more?
“I give myself permission TO BE MYSELF.” A client of mine said the other day. I nearly could feel her energy explode in the room. YOU GO GIRL! I exclaimed! THAT is the spirit of truly healing.
As we continue to plummet our way through the healing journey, we have two choices. To see what it is we are letting go of OR be the difference. We can easily get distracted by the first choice, simply because we are used to having the pain or issue in our lives. However, as we move into a lighter state of consciousness, identifying with what used to weigh us down, only keeps THAT ISSUE in our lives. This is why sacred ceremonies are so important, which allow us honor the divine in all things and free our selves of the binds that enslave us. THEN, after we’ve become the New, who we USED to be (or whatever issue was in our life) will seem to be lifetimes ago.
Healing is not something to be afraid of. Many of us know that there are cobwebs in places of our lives….sitting collecting dust because no one has paid any attention to it. We might be afraid to go where it’s even “dirty”. I say…GO FOR IT! Get out the grime and all the spots you can. The clearer we feel spiritually, the better we feel physically. And when we physically push our selves to heal, the spiritual places in need of cleaning will make themselves VERY apparent.
Many blessings on your healing journey! Remember…you’re not alone, and nor should you try to do it all by yourself. Find like-hearted souls who can share openly about this with you-so that conversations stay on the upside of things Keeps things much BRIGHTER that way!
Our liver can hold years and years of toxins and when you flush, you release liver STONES. Wow…curious about the impact liver has on the body? Check this out!
THE LIVER… has well over 500 functions and is known as the laboratory of the human body. The liver is tied to all bodily processes because it is responsible for filtration of all incoming foods and fluids. The body relies upon the liver to remove toxins so that nutrients supplied to the body are pure and capable of providing nourishment. Many scientist believe the liver is connected to, or at least aware, of every disease or dysfunction that is happening inside the body.
* Metabolizes proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, thus providing energy and nutrients
* Stores vitamins, minerals, and sugars
* Filters the blood and helps remove harmful chemicals and bacteria
* Creates bile which breaks down fats
* Helps to assimilate and store fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, K)
* Stores extra blood that can be quickly released when needed
* Creates serum proteins that maintain fluid balance and act as carriers
* Helps maintain electrolyte and water balance
* Creates immune substances such as gamma globulin
* Breaks down and eliminates excess hormones
* Vascular (blood management)
* Provides blood clotting factors
* Breaks down ammonia (and other toxins) created in the colon by bacteria; thus preventing death
* Helps to maintain blood pressure
* Constructs cholesterol and estrogen, reconstructs hormones
* Humanizes nutrients, metabolizes protein, carbohydrates, fat for energy
* Synthesizes urea, constructs blood protein, interconverts amino acids
* Constructs 50,000 systems of enzymes to govern metabolic activity throughout the body
* Removes damaged red blood cells
* Converts the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4) into it more active form triiodothyronine (T3). Inadequate conversion may lead to hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue, weight gain, poor memory and other debilitating conditions.
* Creates GTF (Glucose Tolerance Factor) from chromium, niacin and possibly glutathione. GTF is needed for the hormone insulin to properly regulate blood-sugar levels. Manufactures bile salts which emulsify fats and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K for proper absorption. The liver also removes some fat-soluble toxins from the body.
* Activates B vitamins into their biologically active coenzyme forms. Virtually every nutrient must be biotransformed by the liver into its proper biochemical form before the nutrient can be stored, transported or used in cellular metabolism.
* Stores various nutrients, especially A, D, B-12 and iron for release as needed.
* Manufactures carnitine from lysine and other nutrients. Carnitine is the only known bionutrient which can escort fats into the mitochondria where they are used to generate ATP energy. The mitochondria generate 90% of the ATP energy at the cellular level.
* Converts lactic acid from a toxic waste to an important storage fuel. Lactic acid is produced when glucose is metabolized through the energy production cycle. When excessive levels accumulate, you experience sore muscles. A healthy liver will extract lactic acid from the bloodstream and convert it into the reserve endurance fuel, glycogen.
* Serves as the main glucose buffer, preventing high or low extremes of blood sugar. The liver is the key regulator of blood sugar between meals due to its manufacture, storage, and release of glycogen, the starch form of glucose. When blood sugar is low, a healthy liver converts stored glycogen into glucose, releasing it into the bloodstream to raise blood sugar levels. When blood sugar is high, a healthy liver will convert the excess into stored glycogen or fat.
* Chief regulator of protein metabolism. The liver converts different amino acids into each other as needed.
* Produces cholesterol and converts it into the various forms needed for blood transport.
* Converts essential fatty acids such as GLA, EPA, and DHA into the lipoprotein forms necessary to allow transport via the bloodstream to the 50 trillion cells requiring fatty acids.
* Main poison-detoxifying organ in the body. The liver must break down every substance toxic to the body including metabolic wastes, insecticide and pesticide residues, drugs, alcohol, etc. Failure of this function will usually cause death in 12 to 24 hours.
* Removes ammonia, a toxic by-product of animal protein metabolism, from the body.
* Breaks down hormones after they have served their function. i.e., if the liver does not break down insulin fast enough, hypoglycemia results because the circulating insulin continues to lower blood sugar.
* The liver is vital to a host of other metabolic functions, but this brief overview should serve to illustrate the central role the liver plays in maintaining good health and the importance of implementing life-style change if necessary.I’m not sure I get it….
YOU MIGHT CONSIDER A LIVER FLUSH IF:
Liver Toxicity and Weakness (warning signs)
There are many warning signs and symptoms the body clearly relays to you that the liver needs help. The worst thing you can do is ignore or suppress and think it will just go away.
- Depression, Anger, Frustration, impatient, Fatigue, Poor digestion, Gas, Bloating, Bitter taste in mouth, Nausea, Loss of Apatite
- Dizziness, Eye problems, Red or flushed face, Irritability, Ringing in the ears, Warm palms and soles, Weight loss or Gain, Diarrhea
- Weak tendons and ligaments, Chronic menstrual problems, Scanty menstruation, Varicose veins
- Difficulty in breathing, Respiratory distress, Rigid body, Vertigo, Extreme dizziness, Convulsions, Spasms, Tremors
- Blood disorders, Hormone imbalance, Skin problems, Sinus congestion, Allergies, Excessive Mucus
- Migraines and other types of headaches, Severe pain, Insomnia, Jaundice, Impaired brain function, Impaired Judgement
- Constipation, Bowel changes, Hemorrhoids, Cholesterol problems, Lumps in neck, breast, etc.
My dear friends!
My heart is truly filled with gratitude and relief as I write to you all. Yosef (my husband) and I just completed a 3 week juice cleanse….and it was by far the most powerful of them all.
I must say that I do feel tripely lucky because not only am I married to my best friend (and purest reflection!), my sweet love-of-my -life is dedicated to his well-being, and enjoys fasting with me. Where I have done some cleansing on my own, nothing compares to freeing the body, mind and spirit with your life’s partner. My friends! I am no doctor, but having partnership support while fasting/cleansing/detoxing is one of the GREATEST gifts we can receive! This is an official shout-out of thanks to my dear husband Yosef for his amazing support. I love you dearly.
So, now that I have released some serious stuff, and dropped about 12-15 pounds, I am ready to move forward with this next big step in ours and my life. In less than 10 days, Yosef will be taking me to Bel Air, California, where I will begin summer school; 6 weeks of RACH b’IVRIT! Only Hebrew! I am thrilled, excited and totally curious how this is going to go down.
The official welcome orientation for Rabbinical student’s is not until the end of August (which is when Yosef plans to be in CA by), so it will be awesome for me to get settled in a little before the whole enchilada starts. Pardon my Spanish, I’ve been living on the Border for 3 years!
So, would I say that my fasting has helped me to better prepare for this move? Yes, absolutely. There is something inside of me that FEELS ready to take a serious step in my life and commit long term. Stepping into the Rabbinate, at this point in my life, is absolutely what I need to be doing.
And what better timing, than that of Shavuot….a holiday right around the corner, that celebrates the receiving of the 10 Commandments. Just got chills….guess it’s all part of the Divine Plan. That’s always cool.
Okay, back to fixing up the site so its usable! Thanks for tuning in….until next time…
I recently had a Lymph Massage at the Haven; Annex Wellness Spa in Patagonia, Arizona….and I must say, I was transformed.
I used to think that for a massage to be a ‘real massage’ it had to go deep and hard get “get out all the knots” – but boy did Livia (the massage therapist) prove me wrong!
Since I’m in the midst of a 3 week juice-cleanse, I knew that supporting myself with detox support therapies would be really supportive. I had no idea what I was signing up for when I enrolled into one of her Packages….and three-quarters of the way into it, I’m already over-the-top sold.
From what I understand, the lymph is an essential component to our blood and circulatory system. The lymph make up our plasma and by having healthy movement to this system, our body is able to continually flush out toxins. If we have no movement in our lymph glands, our system can become backed up stagnant ”swamp water” so to speak.
WHAT IS A LYMPH MASSAGE?
A lymph massage is a very gentle treatment that aims to awaken and circulate our lymph system to help support the body in releasing toxins. Why gentle you may ask? DeepTissue.com states:
By performing lymphatic drainage massage correctly, we can stimulate the opening of the initial lymphatic and increase the volume of lymph flow by as much as 20 times. But if we push too hard, we collapse the initial lymphatic, diminishing the lymph flow. Excessive pressure can even break the filaments that hold the initial lymphatic in place.
The treatment began by Livia creating a mood in the room that made me feel so comfortable and safe. Instantly I could feel my body relax as I sank in to the radiant-heating pad I laid on. Lavendar & Mint Essential Oils filled the air as she began to lightly oil my back. Sighing a huge exhale, I knew that we were about to move something inside of me.
As she began to work down to my legs, I mentioned that I was looking for an affirmation – a powerful statement that I could meditate on while she treated me. With Livia’s keen astuteness, she knew the right thing to say; Come up with one! And right then and there, as my body rested in a relaxed and nurtured state, I began to ask myself what type of prayer or blessing it would be that I needed. And the soul-journey began.
I could feel everything around me moving….almost as if the train was finally leaving the station. After being parked (metaphorically speaking) for what seemed like ages, the circulation was more than refreshing. And since I was fasting partly for Spiritual reasons, I really took the time to connect with myself and ponder the pending question; what affirmation do I need?
Just then, I could feel a tender area being worked on…which triggered many thoughts. As her fingers gently pressed into my abdomen area, I could feel the sea of stored emotions in me begin to surge. I was realizing something about myself I had never before known. Not surprising since we store our feelings in our Solar Plexus, the tender tummy muscles she was so delicately taking care of.
As the emotions began to seep out of me, Livia engaged in gentle questioning, erging me to continue on the path I had just waken up to. With such thoughtfulness, Livia was able to hold space not only for my physical body, but for my spiritual and emotional body as well.
The session started coming to a close and she knew I was not quite finished processing my experience. So what did she do? She wrapped me up in layers upon layers of blankets (and a tarp even!), cranked up the Bio-Mat (the radiant heating pad), turned up the music and told me to lay and sweat for as long as I needed.
With a brush of love on my head, she left the room and I was left to be with myself. Facing the new reality I had just come to know.
Was it the lymph? Was it the simply the space I was in? Not sure….but I do know that something in me moved that day, and I will never be the same.
Thank you, Livia, for supporting the healing for so many. May many read these words and be inspired to feel your touch.
For more information on The Haven, Visit www.PatagoniaHaven.com
It was Rabbi Artson who once said in a lecture that BEING only comes from WHAT WE DO;
In other words: If you don’t DO ANYTHING you CAN’T BE ANYTHING.
So today I am forgiving myself for perhaps not doing all the things I should, and reminding myself to do all that I can.
And since I am now day 7 into a juice fast, I am needing to take yet another step back and reflect on what I’m doing.
For those of you who do not know, within the next four weeks I will be relocating to Los Angeles, Califonira where I will be stepping into my next role as a student at American Jewish University, as I embark on a 6 year curriculum to become a Rabbi.
I have never been so full of emotions in my life.
I am excited and anxious….yet I know that this is certainly 100% my dharma. Okay….maybe 98% – haha. Who REALLY knows, right?!
Anywho….thanks for joinly along the ride! Much much more to come….
Next Up: More Wellness Treatments; Yum Yum!
As we come to a place in our lives when we are ready to take our Spiritual Path to the next level, sometimes, we have absolutely no idea exactly what that looks like. For some, it’s going on a meditation retreat…or opening into a form of creative expression. For others, it’s all about nutrition. And interestingly enough, when we bring SPIRITUAL NUTRITION into our lives, the meditation and the creative expression (just as examples) strengthens and becomes an even more incredible experience.
The idea of living a LIVE FOODS lifestyle for many people at first can seem intimidating–but only because we’ve not been exposed to just what that looks like. The idea of having to “soak almonds over night” or “dehydrate for 36 hours” can at first seem overwhelming, but as we begin to change the pace of our lives, having a routine of preparing foods in advance becomes just another part of who we are. And beautifully enough, it’s incredibly gratifying. Spiritual Nutrition, one of Gabriel Cousens, M.D.’s books, shares about not only the physical benefits of live vegan foods, but how it can be used as a way to connect with the Divine. As society becomes more and more toxic, having simple tools to bring us right back into the place of connection is truly what we need. But sometimes, it’s the simplicity that is the toughest part to grasp.
If you have ever had the pleasure of hearing Gabriel speak (which is way easy to do on GabrielCousens.com!), you’ll notice that he is not the biggest fan of HIGH GLYCEMIC FOODS (fruits, grains, sugars). So he has developed what is called a Phase Chart. This Phase Chart divides foods up into categories based on their glycemic (sugar) index. Phase 1 foods are all green veggies, sea veggies, nuts & seeds, tomatoes, stevia and xylothol. These foods have an index of less than 100. Once you get into 1.5 (includes berries, carrots…) and Phase 2 (dates, figs, peaches…) the index goes up. This helps us to know what we are truly putting into our bodies.
So what does this have to do with SPIRITUALITY you ask?
I went on an experiment. I, just like most people in this world, love a good sweet treat. And I was getting to a place where that little sweet treat was happening just about every day. Then maybe twice a day….and once more after dinner. What was going on?
So, after listening to a lecture on insulin, and having a group of transformed diabetics leave the Tree, I realized that it was time in fact, for me to try this GLORIFIED PHASE 1 lifestyle for a while. Oh my was that first week outrageous.
That’s when it hit me. I had been in a manipulative, controlling relationship and I was allowing it to run my life. I had finally put an end to something that I did not even know was going on. Sugar is a craving we have been taught to feed–and we don’t know any other way. But, did you know, that when the body experiences a sugar craving it’s actually experiencing a MINERAL DEFICIENCY and can be cured with a green juice or SALAD?! And THAT is when my personal freedom began to shine through.
Instead of GIVING IN, I chose to OVERCOME.
All of a sudden, I wasn’t being controlled any more. All of a sudden, meals were simply times to receive nutrients, and nothing more. All of a sudden, the stillness in my mind stayed for longer periods of time, and believe it or not, I became WAY more productive.
So, what’s the correlation? Sugar is a controlling relationship that creates NEED in our lives. Without feeling as though we need anything, we are able to BE much more easily–content, at peace, calm and present.
“Be still and know that I Am God”
Perhaps stillness can be reached–but from the looks of it, not when we’ve got sugar pumping through our veins. We can do this! And we’re doing it together.
Wishing you nothing but the best,
So, here at the Tree, I am blessed to facilitate a program several times a week for our guests. This class, called Mishpacha (Hebrew for family) is designed to help strengthen the bonds with the self, the Divine and the world around us.
Every day I have a specific theme to be discussed, experienced, meditated on and shared. Thursdays are my “WILD CARD” days. I never know what to expect before hand.
So, this afternoon has been absolutely gorgeous, so the two ladies in class and I decided to go outside. Neither of them having the slightest clue on what the program is, I decided that we would just sit and breathe for a few moments together and listen to the wind. Birds are out, chirping, wind chimes ringing, leaves rustling…relaxed we just breathed and listened to what the universe had to say.
Then, as if out of no where, I said -”Welcome to Mishpacha. Today’s theme is all about LISTENING – to the Divine Communation within that is always available.”
Chills tickled my spine.
As I began to lead the ladies through a series of experiences, we began to play with listening to the outside world, then tuning into Divine Silence….the stillness that is between every moment. The center of all creation.
My soul LANDED into my body–and I felt a presence that I have not felt in a very very long time.
The guidance I was a vessle of explained that hearing the vibration of God is truly like tuning our own personal radio station. We can easily get distracted by the sounds of the other channels, distracted by the static and can easily become “detuned”. As we listened to the world around us, we were then told to gently tune the “radio station” of awareness into the divine space of nothingness. Instantly the world froze and I became weightless.
The rest of the session only blossomed from there. But, how profound this simple tool for TUNING IN has become in my life. When we recgonize that the outside sounds of the universe are actually PHYSICAL (sound is vibration meeting something, like your ear drum), we realize that the sound is only 1% of who we are. Sound is an outward expression of what is happening INSIDE….at all times–JUST like your body is! These are all expressions of a spiritual essence.
What sounds do you hear around you? Are you able to tune your awareness into the stillness of each moment? If you can, try it at first in a place that brings you peace. Listen to the waves, the birds, the wind…..then tune in to the nothingness–BREATHE! Then, try it in a busy setting too….so amazing!
That’s all for now!
Wow! Day 4 of Juice Feasting…and I feel awesome! I had the world’s most “epic” colonic this morning….and its amazing how you feel to get rid of toxins in the body. I’m not even hungry, but my body is craving salts after the hydro-therapy.
The Grand Benefit of the COFFEE ENEMA
Now, before you get all uncomfortable and awkward, it is important to know that enemas and colonics are absolutely essential in a healthy, spiritual life. Our body can horde toxins for Y E A R S and these simple and easy processes allow the body to get thoroughly cleaned out!
If you have never seen an enema bag before, the ones we sell here at the Tree look like this:
And if you have never done an enema before, here is a great video!
Why Coffee Enema??
The following are excerpts from the Tree of Life’s Liver Flush Protocol. Did you know that the enema is more ubiquitous than the WHEEL!??!
The coffee bean has an interesting history. It was imported in Arabia in the early 1500’s by the Sufi religious mystics, who used it to fight drowsiness while praying. It was especially prized for its medicinal qualities, in both the Near East and Europe. No one knows when the first daring soul filled an enema bag with a quart of java. What is known is that the coffee enema appeared at least as early as 1917 and was found in the prestigious Merck Manual until 1972. In the 1920’s, German scientists found that a caffeine solution could open the bile ducts and stimulate the production of bile in the liver of experimental animals.
“Patients have to know that the coffee enemas are not given for the function of the intestines but for the stimulation of the liver.” -Dr. Max Gerson
It is the liver and small bowel that neutralize the most common tissue toxins: polyamines, ammonia, toxic-bound nitrogen and electrophiles. These detoxification systems are enhanced by the coffee enema. Physiological chemistry and physics has stated “caffeine enemas cause dilation of bile ducts, which facilitates excretion of toxic cancer breakdown products by the liver and dialysis of toxic products across the colonic wall.”
Since the enema is generally held for 15 minutes, and all the blood passes through the liver, the palimates enhance the enzyme system responsible for the removal of toxic free radicals from the serum; and the fluid of the enema then stimulates the visceral nervous system to promote peristalsis and the transit of diluted toxic bile from the duodenum and out of the rectum. Furthermore, since all the blood passes through the liver every three minutes, “these enemas represent a form of dialysis of the blood across the gut wall.” The research by Sherry Rodgers, MD author of Detox or Die, suggests that there is no stimulatory effect of the adrenals from a coffee enema. The personal experience of Gabriel Cousens, MD supports her findings.
**If you would like more information on coffee enemas or liver flushing, please let me know! All information above provided by the Tree of Life Liver Flush Protocol**
We are just finishing up a fairly productive work day, and the girls in my office and I are doing a liver cleanse. What a perfect opportunity to share a little more information that I’m learning-as Kaia is an experience Fasting Coach and has been working at the tree for over 3 years. Morgann, has a vast knowledge of superfoods, supplements and health. So, each day I aim to offer some info on how to do a liver flush, what is imporant to know, and interesting facts. There is SO much to learn!
As you might notice, several protocols list drinking APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Why?
Some liver flushes even recommend fresh apple juice.…or even straight up eat apples daily. What is with all these APPLES??
The answer is: PECTIN
• Pectin helps keep the digestive tract tone and healthy by stimulating the muscles.
• Because pectin attracts water into the intestinal tract, stools stay soft. This helps prevent constipation and hemorrhoids.
• Pectin creates a feeling of fullness which can help in weight loss. **Especially awesome if you’re juice feasting**
• Pectin attracts fatty compounds and carries them out of the intestines. This can help in the prevention of heart disease and stroke.
• Pectin slows the abosorption of glucose (sugar). This helps control blood sugar levels.
• Pectin causes the passage of food material to speed up. This decreases the “transit time”, thus allowing less time for carcinogens in the food to be absorbed into the bloodstream.
Supplements are available but to get the best health benefits of pectin, foods are preferred. Foods high in pectin include apples, oranges, apricots, plums, grapefruit, bananas, gooseberries, carrots, cabbage, beets, and legumes.Source – Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/articles/59681.aspx#ixzz0dflGLHkLHOOORAWW!! TODAY I CONSUMED:
>>Fresh green juice (cuc’s, celery, greens….) from cafe’>>Mint Tea>> 1 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed with [1/4 tbs baking soda or 1 tbs baking powder] & 8 oz water
>>TONS of water (regularly throughout the day)>> 1 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed with [1/4 tbs baking soda or 1 tbs baking powder] & 8 oz water>>Fresh green juice (cuc’s, celery, greens….) from cafe’>> A few drops of herbal essences for fasting support
- Loonch [lunch]
>>Pardon the details…but juice *with a touch of chayenne pepper and fresh lemon*, ACV with juice….and an enima.HEY! If I’m not honest….who will be? Enjoy your cleanse, and remember….your liver is the storage take of past emotions.RELEASE WITH EASE
Here’s to your SQUEAKY CLEAN LIVER!